Friday, March 30, 2012

The Yellow House a read along, Part 4

Well this is my last post about his very good book.  Carrie at Books and Movies has been hosting a read along and this is our final discussion post.  Carrie asked us the following questions:
Welcome to our final read-along discussion of The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey. If you’re following our schedule, you should have finished the book. (You can read our previous discussions here: part one, part two, and part three.)
Spoiler alert: We will be discussing the book in detail, so if you haven’t finished it and don’t want to read any spoilers, you should skip this post and the comments section.


:
Were you as angry as I was when Eileen slept with James while pregnant with Owen’s baby, in order to pass the baby off as his?

I don't think I was angry, I sort of saw that she felt for James, and that maybe this was one time she had to be absolutely sure she was not in love with James.  I do understand her reasoning for trying to pass off Owen's baby as James, considering the dangerous time.
Was Owen’s reaction to that justified, in your opinion?

Yes I think Owen is justified.
 
Did you understand why Eileen was so torn about reporting what she knew about James’ plans for the mill?

Yes, I understand she didn't want to betray "the cause" but at the same time she was sympathetic to the lives that might be affected were James to be successful. 

What about her hesitancy to marry Owen?

I think this might have been her wisest decision, it was way to easy getting involved with James and hopefully she would not have been so quick to decided.  Owen would wait I would assume. 

What did you think of how things ended for the following characters: Frankie, Lizzie, Terrence, Fergus, and, of course, James?

I found the only good ending was Lizzie's. I'm afraid that you cannot give someone back their lives, and even though Eileen was going to look after Frankie, it was just sad.  James I think was expecting to die for the cause, and quite honestly I think the reader expected that too.  Terrance and Fergus, well it was just sad.

Were you satisfied with the way things ended for Eileen’s mom?

Eileen's mom will of course not regain her sanity, she may have come out a little but should she look around at Frankie and her husband, surely she would loose it again.  Just sad. 

And, lastly, were you happy with how things ended for Eileen?
Well Eileen did get the Yellow House back, and her family is all together again, but what a cost.  I'm not sure she'll forget anytime soon.  Missing Owen, well I suspect that's a good thing, how will things continue, realistically, life will not be easy. 

my thoughts:
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I couldn't follow the designated schedule, I just needed to know what happened.  I found the historical references very enlightening and interesting, and I'm glad I didn't have to root for one or the other team.  I only had to let Love take it's course.  Thanks to Carrie for hosting and for the great questions.  It was a blast!


I also am linking this book up to the WWI challenge hosted by War Through the Generations although this book isn't specifically about an incident in the WWI, it certainly gives us a glimpse through Owen's eyes, about the whole affair.   You can read all my reviews Part 1, Part 2 , Part 3 and the discussions that ensued.

Photo of book I own.

2 comments:

Carrie K. said...

Thanks for joining in on all of our discussions - and I'm so happy you enjoyed the book as much as I did.

I had a hard time with some of Eileen's decisions in this last section of the book - especially her hesitancy in reporting the plans for the mill. I wanted to shake her during a couple of scenes!

I'm glad that the book ended with a note of hope, though - Eileen back in her Yellow House, things working out with Owen presumably. She had been through so much - it was nice to see her with a bit of happiness.

Anna said...

I loved this book, too, especially that the author played it real with a hopeful, but not altogether happy ending. I'll get your post linked on War Through the Generations soon.

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.