Monday, March 7, 2016

It's Monday What are your Reading?

It's Monday,  I'm reading only Irish authors this March. Last week I read Maeve Binchy's Deeply Regretted, and Today started to read the Journey Home. Deeply Regretted by... a wee great play.  It was interesting that the author mentioned that after the play was performed she received letters with rather upset writers asking "how dare she tell their story"

from amazon.ca

Deeply Regretted By . . . , Maeve Binchy’s classic television play, is a moving and powerful account of a tragedy affecting a woman in London who discovers, on the death of her "husband," that their married life was a lie. The play reflects the sociopolitical realities of Irish men marrying and starting families both at home and abroad, principally after they were forced to emigrate for work. Presenting a brave and revealing account of a hidden layer of Irish society, Maeve Binchy first brought the subject to the surface in her Irish Times story, "Death of Kilburn," also included in this volume.

I could not help but agree, there were many such cases, and not only in Irish history, but I think many more nationalities. In my parents circle I can think of more than one couple... You'll have to read it to find out what I'm talking about. It's a short read. One bus trip worth.

On to my next one... The Return Journey

3 comments:

Nise' said...

Maeve is such a good author. She is definitely missed. Have a great March reading.

bermudaonion said...

Is it a play or a short story? My son loves to read plays but I struggle with them.

Vicki said...

I haven't read a book by her yet. I'll see if my library has it.

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to my wonderful son,  it's bee 33wonderful years. Hope this year proves to be the best yet.